Wednesday, May 11, 2011

does your pet have an itch?

I woke up this morning to my dog, Addie scratching her belly like crazy.  She could not get any relief.  The vet recommended bio spot it is a flea and tick control for dogs and each applicator kills and repels fleas and mosquitoes for up to 30 days.  I went to Olson's Grain and was happy to see it for $15.99 and they had $5 off coupons.  This will last me all summer, picked up two (one for each dog) and it was just over $20. 
I thought it was worth the money but I do have a very frugal recipe for a home made flea bath

What You Need:

  • One lemon
  • A pot
  • Water
  • A spray bottle, sponge or pet brush

What You Do:

1. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Then, remove from heat.
2. Add a sliced lemon to the pot, and allow it to steep overnight.
3. Apply the resulting liquid to your pet with a spray bottle, sponge or brush.
4. Repeat daily or as needed.

Why This Works

Lemons contain limonene, a chemical that kills and repels fleas.

I also want to share a good recipe that unfortunately I have used MANY MANY TIMES.  It is for removing skunk odor from your pet.

1 liter of peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda
1t dawn dish soap

Mix all together and wash pet with solution, rinse and repeat if needed.

Just this morning I used this mixture on my brothers dog who was sprayed last night.  A lot of people think tomato juice is good but it just masks the smell of the skunk, it does not eliminate it. 

2 comments: