Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Stuffed bell peppers

This is my recipe for stuffed peppers.  It is one of my Dad's favorite recipes and I made it for him a lot when they came to visit.  We spent a lot of time cooking and sitting around my table.  I love cooking for my family and when every chair is full of happy eaters, it makes my day.
I like to use red bell peppers but green peppers have been on sale so that is what I bought.  I used 1 pound of ground sirloin I had the meat department grind it for me when they had a good sale on sirloin steaks. 
Brown the sirloin and add 1/2 onion and 2 garlic cloves, season with salt pepper and cumin . 
I like short grain brown rice and I buy it in bulk at the health food store and store it in Tupperware.  Boil 2 cups of water seasoned with beef bullion and then add 1 cup of rice, cook for 25 min on low.  When the rice and sirloin is done mix them together and add 1/2 cup Velveeta cheese and 1/4 C salsa.  Stir in 1T of soy sauce and 28oz can diced tomatoes and 1/2 cup sour cream.  While the cheese is melting cut the tops off of your peppers and get them ready to fill with meat mixture. 
Preheat oven to 350 and then stuff the peppers.  Mix 2C hot water and 3t beef bullion together and poor in dish you are cooking the peppers in, this will help them get soft while in oven.  Cover with foil and bake for 30 min.
If you do not have picky eaters these are a meal on its own but my kids do not like them very much so I put a few taquitos in the oven and heat up a can of refried beans to complete the meal so I know they are getting enough food that they will eat.
I use 4 bell peppers and cut the tops off of two of them and then make the other two half peppers so the kids can eat the stuffing in a pepper bowl (more fun for them).  I also freeze the remaining stuffing mixture so that the next time I want to make this dinner I just have to stuff the peppers and that saves a lot of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment