Friday, January 14, 2011

Dessert anyone?


My Grandma makes the best carrot cake.  I remember as a kid getting so excited when she made this dessert when we stayed at her house for Christmas break.  My Grandma and my Mom have a gift when it comes to baking.  When the New Year approached I took part of a weight loss challenge that makes my New Years resolution of not dieting this year null and void.  I am still pursuing creative cooking to make my family meals more healthy but now I am also counting the calories in the meals.  I decided to try making a carrot cake low calorie and I think the results are DELICIOUS!!!
A traditional carrot cake is often perceived as healthy because of the carrots it contains.  But usually it also contains at least 1 1/2 cups of oil - not good when you are watching your fat intake.  Here is my version which contains no oil and tastes fabulous (if I do say so myself).  
Traditional carrot cake is 449 calories/serving.  This cake is 204 calories/ serving. 
Preheat oven to 350 and lightly spray a 13x9 pan with non stick spray.
In a large bowl, stir together 1C all purpose flour, 1C whole wheat flour, 2 1/2 t ground cinnamon, 2t baking soda, 1/2 t nutmeg and 1/2 t ground cloves.  Set aside
In mixer beat 6 egg whites  until soft peaks form.  slowly beat in 1/2 +1/3c sugar and 6 packs splenda.  Then slowly beat in 1C unsweetened applesauce, 1/2 c 1% buttermilk, 1 1/2t vanilla. 
Using a spoon, stir in the flour mixture just until combined.  Then stir in 8oz crushed pineapple in its own juices (undrained), 2C shredded carrots and 1C walnuts.  Spread the batter in the prepared pan.  Bake about 35 min or until toothpick comes out clean.  Let cool completely
LOW CAL CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
2/3 c fat free vanilla yogurt
2/3 c low fat cottage cheese
16oz low fat cream cheese
powdered sugar (1c splenda + 1t cornstarch)
mix yogurt and cottage cheese in blender until smooth, poor into mixer, add cubes of cream cheese and blend. Place the Splenda and the cornstarch in a mixer or food processor. Blend on high speed for approximately 1 minute, until the texture is similar to powdered sugar. You may need to scrape down the mixer or processor bowl several times in the process. Sugar can be stored in an airtight container for up to a month. Add sugar and mix, place frosting in refrigerator until thick enough to frost cake
This cake makes 20 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment