Friday, January 14, 2011

SLOW-DOWN SUPPERS



My Mom gave me a subscription to the Lady's home journal and I have really enjoyed reading it.  It gives a lot of good ideas for running a household from home health and fitness to relationship tips.  Last week the February issue was in my mailbox and it is the big health issue.  I came across a hearty beef and squash stew that is only 165 calories a serving.  I also love this recipe because it serves 8 and the entire meal cost less than $6 to make.  Try going to a restaurant and ordering a low calorie heart healthy meal for $0.75 a plate.
combine 2 1/4 t thyme, 2 t salt, 3/4 pepper reserve 1t of the mixture for later and stir 5T cornstarch into the remainder.  Toss 1 1/2lb beef ( I used sirloin ct into 1 inch pieces), 1 medium fennel bulb cut into 1/2 inch wedges and 2 potatoes, cut into 1 inch pieces. 
Prepair a small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and sliced 1/8 inch thick.  Toss squash with 1t olive oil and the reserved 1tsp of thyme mixture. 
Place the beef mixture in slow cooker, fitting the ingredients tightly; add 28oz can diced tomatoes. Arrange the squash on top of stew, cover an cook 4 1/2 hr on high or 8hr on low. 
165 calories a serving, 4g of fat and 4g of fiber
IT IS SIMPLY DELICIOUS

No comments:

Post a Comment