Sunday, January 2, 2011

Sunday morning breakfast

Sunday is the only morning we can all eat breakfast together as a family.  I love making breakfast burritos because there are so many ways to make them to fit any diet needs.  Being how it is the start of the New Year I should have made them with egg beaters, whole wheat tortillas and low fat cheese.  However, I would not be a great penny pincher if I did not use up the food I already have.  Here is the recipe to my FAVORITE breakfast burrito.  Taylor is the only one in our family who does not love these so she has bagels and fruit but she loves to help me roll them up for everyone.

4 potatoes shredded
1 lb sausage ( I use chicken breakfast sausage from sprouts) Bobby is allergic to pork
7 eggs
1 4oz can green chili
1/4 c salsa
1/2 c Velveeta cheese

Shred potatoes (I use the julienne slicer to do this), put in cold water for a few min so they will not turn brown. Blot potatoes dry, melt 2tsp butter in pan and add potatoes, brown about 7 min on both sides.
Brown sausage to crumble, beat eggs in a bowl and add splash of milk.
When Sausage is done place in bowl and then add egg mixture to pan, add green chili and Velveeta cheese.  Cook eggs until they are done and cheese is melted, add potatoes, meat and salsa.  Spoon 1/2 cup mixture into flour tortilla tuck sides in and roll.

I make a big batch because I like to make up several to keep on hand for busy mornings.  They are easy to warm up and they freeze well.

No comments:

Post a Comment